Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dear Mother Nature,

My garden is in, and I have just one request.  Could you find the compassion in your cold cold heart to keep the weather above freezing from now until October? Pretty pretty please with sugar on top? It's been a long day.  I got up at 6:30, late for me, but I thought it was 7:30 so I hurried out of bed.  I went to get my two wonderful Bountiful Baskets and then hurried to watch my sons play a really long soccer game.  When I came home, my awesome neighbor offered me a truck full of sand for free.  I don't have anywhere prepared for it, but my driveway had an available spot and I couldn't turn down free sand, free memories for my children, free gritty happy messiness, could I?  I loved my sandbox growing up, at least until the day I found my missing pet rabbit buried in the sand. But, before that, I loved it.  I loved it so much, it was worth spending 3 hours unloading that sand onto the driveway and it will be worth all the rest of the work to make it a home.  Anyway, you don't really care about that, being a fictional force of nature, but I can say what I want because this is my blog.  So, in between a birthday party and a pinewood derby car weigh in, and 3 little neighbor girls playing over here for a few hours ( they were so well behaved), my husband and I each made trips to nurseries to buy flowers and vegetables for our garden. I threw together a quick dinner. And then we planted.  I think I spent about 4 hours planting.  And all I'm really asking is that all my hard work doesn't get obliterated in a freak storm that doesn't belong in the month of May.  I know I am being reasonable.  Can you be reasonable too?  We have ENOUGH snow in the mountains and we don't need or want any more in the valleys.  Keep your freezes to yourself and leave my tomatoes, peppers, asparagus, cabbage, swiss chard,cucumbers, broccoli, butternut squash, zuchinni, crook neck squash, and EVERYTHING else ALONE.  Thank you!

2 comments: