Friday, February 1, 2013

Heart Pillows- Tutorial

Last year, at the beginning of February, my mom and I went to the Art Market in Sandy. It's a small boutique that is run four times a year for Valentine's, Mother's Day, Halloween, and Christmas.  While there, we saw these adorable heart pillows. They were really funky looking with old fabric patched together, ribbons, ric rac, and just whatever.  They were also $20 each.

We thought they would make a great project for Activity Days, but I was having my meeting in 3 hours and it wasn't going to work last year.  I also didn't have a sewing machine.

Fast forward to 2013. I have a sewing machine. And I planned ahead. We've had one meeting already and it will probably take one or two more for the girl's to finish, but they are going to be so cute.

Here's how to do it:

STEP 1: Choose your fabrics.  I used hand me down fabrics from my grandmother, mother in law, and some leftover pieces from my projects.  I also cut up two pairs of brown corduroy pants that had become compromised in the seat department.  The fabric is thick and wonderfully soft.

STEP 2: Cut your fabric into strips.  You can make everything the same width or use varying widths, ranging between 2 and 5 inches, or whatever makes you happy. The length will be determined by what size heart pillow you want and where you plan to use each strip.  I just cut everything about 12-15 inches and used varying widths.

STEP 3: Lay out your strips in a way that is pleasing to you.  You will need about half an inch for seams.

STEP 4: Sew the strips together. Press as you go.

STEP 4.5: If you want to add ribbon, now is the time.

STEP 5: Choose fabric for the back and cut to match.

STEP 6: Draw a heart on the wrong side of your sewn strips. You can draw freehand, or use paper or cardboard to make a template.  You decide.  It really depends on what kind of heart you want.

STEP 7: Right sides facing, pin the back and the front together.

STEP 8: Sew along the drawn line, making sure to leave an opening big enough to turn your pillow.

STEP 9: Cut away the excess fabric.  Leave about 1/4-1/2 inch seams.

STEP 10: Snip the curves.

STEP 11: Turn the pillow right side out and stuff. You can use regular stuffing, or you can stuff it with plastic grocery bags!

STEP 12:  Hand sew the opening closed.  If you want to, you can stitch all the way around to mask the opening, or just sew that part closed.

STEP 13: Go show everybody the adorable pillow you just made!

No comments:

Post a Comment