Friday, April 12, 2013

Milk Box Magic!

A couple of days ago, I decided to clean out my nightstand.  The first thing that you need to know, if you don't know it already, is that I am a pig by nature.  I'm just naturally messy.  I put things in wrong places, stupid places, and on the floor. My nightstand, that I had cleaned out not too long ago, was again a disgusting conglomeration of hair bands, jewelry, orthodontic rubberbands, tissues, receipts, money, and all manner of strange small objects.  It's an ugly nightstand to start with and it was just really embarrassing.  I've noticed that if I  organize well and use containers to keep things that I am able to actually effect change in my habits, at least for that area. So, after cleaning it out and using some little bags and containers on the inside, I decided that the open shelf on the bottom needed containers too.

 They needed to be cute, fit perfectly, and be free!  

The idea vanished as quickly as it appeared.  

Then we went to Costco, and after spending oodles of money on food, I found myself contemplating the milk boxes,and wondering if they would fit in my nightstand. 

And they did.

3 of them fit.

Perfectly!

So, instead of cleaning, which always waits for you, I spent my morning sewing covers for these milk boxes.

First I scored the tops and glued them down inside to make them stronger.

Then I traced the boxes on some fabric my Mom bought from Home Goods.  It was $3 a yard and I had started with 2 yards.  Part of it became a new cushion cover for my rocking chair.  The rest, added with some muslin and cream colored fabric I inherited from Grandma, was perfect for this project.  The only money I actually spent was for the Muslin, about 2 years ago.  I thought I wanted it for a project and later decided it was wrong. So, that was about $1 worth of fabric.  


I had no idea what I was doing and I didn't want to look up a tutorial.  


I just figured it out as I went along.


They are not perfect.  Even I can tell that. But, they turned out pretty cute, and I can live with the imperfections.  It's much cuter than a milk box!

4 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of the fact that you have a bedroom large enough for a nightstand. ;) -Nata-Leigh

    PS ... and your ability to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. I'm the same way about putting things away. My mom says the floor is my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bedroom is BARELY big enough for a nightstand, a queen bed, and two dressers. It works.

    ReplyDelete