Friday, March 14, 2014

Hamantaschen- Yum Yum

I have a really cool job. I am a preschool teacher.  It's really fun and it's really easy because we have a very small class this year.  And, I really love it! I like little kids.  Somebody found out this week that I teach preschool and she asked me how I could stand the little kids.  I was a little dumbfounded.  "I love those little kids." I replied. "And, by the way, are you aware that I have 6 kids of my own" I actually like them too, most of the time.  Anyway, this is all related to hamantaschen, and you will find out how if you just pay careful attention.  Okay, I'll just tell you.  My boss is Jewish and she posted these yummy looking cookies on facebook last week. When I "volunteered" to try some, she graciously brought me some at preschool.

They are triangle shaped crispy buttery cookies with filling. They are called hamantaschen.  Eva filled hers with apricot jam, raspberry jam, chocolate, or nutella.

Anyway, these cookies are yummy.  And they are a traditional treat for Purim.  Hamantaschen means Haman's Pockets.  They are supposed to represent a triangle hat, much like Haman, from the story of Esther, is supposed to have worn.  Purim is a celebration of Queen Esther who saved her people, the Jews, from being killed.  For Christians, this is the story of Esther from the Old Testament.  Anyway, it is a really cool story and features a very brave lady.  I think Purim is pretty cool. So, I am not Jewish, but I love the story of Esther, and I love cookies, so I thought I would make these cookies and share the story with my kids this weekend.

Eva gave me a link to the recipe she used.  It was from The Shiska in the Kitchen, a post labeled Buttery Hamantaschen on March 1, 2012.  I followed that recipe for the dough.  Then I clicked on the link for chocolate cream cheese filling and used that for the filling. That link also had a completely different dough recipe which used shortening and pineapple juice.  I prefer butter, so I think I'll stick with that one.  Anyway,  they turned out pretty dang delicious. There is orange zest in the dough. So the final product was something like a creamy, crunchy, buttery, sweet chocolate orange cookie.  Yum Yum!

They are not kidding about only putting 1 tsp. of filling. DO NOT OVERFILL.  1 tsp. is perfect.

Cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips. 

My cookie sheet is ugly, but my kid is cute. That makes up for it. 

She said they smell great!

One cookie.  Isn't it cute?

Before baking.  They were pretty easy to make, especially once I got the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment