Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019- I'm Coming for You! Resolutions Review and Renewal

Last year, for the first year, I made a list of public resolutions. Well, technically, I made it in 2017- on the very last day, but let's not get technical.  I'd like to update you all on how I did with my 10 goals and then make some new ones. 

RESOLUTION #1 STOP COPYING MYSELF.  GET A LIFE AND DO DIFFERENT THINGS ON DIFFERENT DAYS.  MAKE MY JOURNAL PROUD!

I did a lot of different things this year, including a trip to New Orleans, Zumba, entering contests, and surgery. So, I think I nailed this one!  Go me!

RESOLUTION #2. HAVE PANTS THAT ARE NOT TIGHT THIS TIME NEXT YEAR.  IF I KEEP THIS VAGUE, I CAN DEFINITELY ACHIEVE THIS.

I am really pleased to announce that, while I did buy new pants, it was not because my old ones don't fit.  I lost a few pounds last Jan-Feb and my pants feel really good right now, especially the fuzzy Mickey Mouse over-sized pajama pants I am wearing as I write this blog.  I'm taking one last lazy day before the routine starts up again tomorrow.  

RESOLUTION #3  LOVE MY CHANGING HAIR AND FACE.  THINK POSITIVE THOUGHTS LIKE" SPARKLY UNICORN HAIR, CELESTIAL LOCKS, LOVE LINES, CREASES OF JOY, AND MEMORY MARKS" instead of "GRAY HAIR, WRINKLES, or UGLY MIDDLE AGED BAG LADY."

OK, moment of truth here. The results on this challenge are mixed.  I did a REALLY good job of embracing my unicorn hairs.  My hair that is giving up on pigment seems to be white.  I think it's cool.  I'm okay with it. But, I did spend an enormous amount of time freaking out about my hair falling out.  I think I should get some slack though. My hair really did start to fall out this year. A few months ago I decided to pray about it and got a distinct answer that my Vitamin D levels were low.  I went in for blood work and the only thing that came back as low was my Vitamin D.  I am now taking 50,000 once a week and the hair loss seems to have slowed down.  So, this "loving my old body" is a journey.  I'm trying.  

RESOLUTION #4 GO TO THE TEMPLE WEEKLY.  MAKE AN APPT. AND KEEP IT! 
I wasn't perfect at this, but I did a pretty good job.  I don't feel guilty.  

RESOLUTION #5 WRITE ANOTHER SONG WITH JENNETTE. AND WRITE A SONG BY MYSELF- A DECENT ONE THAT ISN'T ABOUT MY DOG KNOCKING DOWN MY CHRISTMAS TREE,  A SERIOUS SONG, CAUSE MY 4 LINE JELLYFISH SONG IS PRETTY GOOD, BUT I WANT TO HELP PEOPLE FEEL GOD'S LOVE, NOT JUST BE SILLY.

Jennette is almost finished with the music for our second song, "Stand in Holy Places".  I'm so excited for it! Our first song, "The Armor of God" was a winner in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints music competition and will be published on Lds.org.  I also took my challenge and wrote a serious song all by myself.  No, you can't hear it.  I'm still not very good at music composition, but I'm working on it. 

RESOLUTION #6 FINISH THE OTTER STORY BY FEBRUARY.  WRITE ANOTHER STORY. SUBMIT AN ARTICLE/STORY TO A MAGAZINE.  
Right after I finished writing the otter story, things took a crazy turn, and I got a book deal! 

 https://www.amazon.com/250-Fascinating-Facts-About-Temples/dp/1462122973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546384350&sr=8-1&keywords=250+fascinating+facts+about+lds+temples

Book two is coming out in a few months.  
https://www.amazon.com/Fascinating-Facts-About-Latter-day-Saints/dp/1462123147/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546384412&sr=8-2&keywords=250+fascinating+facts+about+latter-day+saints

RESOLUTION #7 DRINK MORE WATER. MEASURE IT.  QUIT BEING A NINNY ABOUT HAVING TO PEE A LOT AND JUST DRINK THE WATER!  

I did this for two months and I HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!  It was torture. 64 ounces a day is WAY too much water for a person who is as sedentary as me.  When I exercise, I drink more.  When I'm thirsty, I drink more. This resolution just about killed me.  

RESOLUTION #8 BREATHE.  RECOGNIZE THAT MY MIND IS POWERFUL AND THAT BREATHING IS A GOOD IDEA.  PRACTICE CONSCIOUS DEEP BREATHING AND RELAXATION. 

Hmm.  No comment. 

RESOLUTION #9. LISTEN. WHEN MY KIDS WANT ME OR NEED ME/ I WILL CONSISTENTLY GIVE THEM MY FULL ATTENTION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND THEN STRIVE TO TRULY LISTEN AND UNDERSTAND. 

I did try, but I STINK at this. 

RESOLUTION #10. MAKE A LIST OF SMALLER, MEASURABLE GOALS, WITH DEADLINES WHERE HELPFUL, THAT ADD UP TO THESE LARGER RESOLUTIONS. CHECK PROGRESS ON THE LAST DAY OF EVERY MONTH.

Such a good idea.  Didn't happen.  
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Okay, so I'm really pretty happy, overall, with how my resolutions turned out.  I accomplished a bunch of goals.  And making this list really did make a difference.  So, for 2019, I'm making a new one. It's going to be one goal long this time, cause I'm pretty bummed about not doing number 9 very well.  

2019 RESOLUTION- LISTEN TO MY KIDS.  PUT DOWN THE PHONE.  PUT DOWN THE BOOK. TURN OFF THE SHOW.  SLOW DOWN.  CLOSE MY MOUTH.  OPEN MY EARS.  AND LISTEN.  

I think one of the best things about friends is when they help you be a better person. So, please, ask me how I'm doing with this.  I love it when people show interest in my music or my books or my service, but what I really need is some people to nag me about something way more important.  Ask me how I'm doing listening to my kids.  Support me when I try to listen to them when you are around.  When 2020 rolls around, I will ask my children how I did on this goal.  I'll let ya'll know what they say.  

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment