Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mix and Match Banana Zuchinni Bread


I posted on facebook today about mixing two recipes together and altering them some, so I thought it would make a pefect blog post.  This all started with two mushy bananas that someone threw away.  I rescued them from the trash can, washed them carefully before peeling them and threw them in the Bosch ( best mixer EVER!).  This made me remember the shredded zuchinni in the freezer that I had taken so much care to grow and preserve, so I thought to myself, "Why not add that too?  And maybe I should consult a recipe to get the other ingredients right."  So, I looked at the two different recipes, cut out the lemon peel, cinammon, oil, and nuts, and added plain yogurt, butter, chocolate chips, and white chocolate chunks.  It was what I had on hand.  I put most of the batter in 6 mini loaf pans and the rest in a regular loaf pan and popped them into my nifty gas oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  Yumalisciousness! The kids snarfed it down.  Nobody even noticed the zuchinni, which hadn't even been peeled.  So, here is the specifics on what I did:

Add to mixer and mix until it looks all nice and smooth:
3 mushy bananas ( I defrosted one from my freezer to add to the fresh ones I had)
1 cup of grated zuchinni
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups of sugar. I used half brown sugar and half unrefined cane sugar because I wanted to.  I'm sure regular would work fine, or all brown.
2 tsp. of vanilla.  Real vanilla or Mexican vanilla is the best.  That nasty imitation stuff should be banned. You can buy Mexican vanilla at Walmart for about $2.00 for 8 ounces in the Latino foods section.  Or you can get it at a Mexican food store.
1/2 cup of melted butter.  You could use oil as well, but I was out.
1/2 cup of plain yugurt. Vanilla would be fine too.

After you mix up all that wet stuff add:
3 cups of flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Mix it up, but not too much and then add 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 cup of white chocolate chunks. 

Bake in whatever pans make you happy at 350 degrees until it's done, you know the whole knife coming out clean business, right? Enjoy! Emmeline certainly did.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could whip up some random recipe and have it be awesome! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy!! Now I just need summer to get here so I can have zucchini.

    ReplyDelete