Friday, June 24, 2011

Clara Episode 2

1.The evening after school got out my family attended a retirement party for my mother in law at her home. Clara, being her usual self, had to work the crowd, and was happily entertaining newcomers by the fronts door when I happened to overhear this conversation. 
Clara: Hi! I'm Clara! I want to give you my autograph
Woman: Oh, that would be nice. 
Clara: Does anybody have a paper and a pen?  I need a paper and a pen!
Grandma: Can you turn her off?
Me: No.
Clara: I really need a paper and a pen. I really really really really want to give you my autograph. 
(Two new visitors produce a post it note and a pen and Clara proceeds with her autograph:
Clara: Now, I want you to keep this forever, okay?
Woman: Okay.
Clara: I mean forever and ever and ever. Never throw it away!
Woman:  I'll keep it forever
Clara: I mean, when you are about to die, I want you to be holding it in your hand.

2. I was sitting at home about a week ago in the evening and Clara approached me with a small handful of money and asked me if 3 quarters was enough to buy a ring pop.  I sometimes sell candy to my kids.  I told her that it was enough (since I sell them for one quarter) but asked where she got the money from.  She had been broke that morning.  Clara hemmed and hawed for a while but finally admitted that she had gathered fallen snowball flowers from the neighbors tree, loaded up her bike basket, and set off to peddle her wares down the street.  She had 4 flower bunches and sold three of them. She informed me that one neighbor "didn't have any money because she doesn't get paid until tomorrow." I asked "Did you give it to her for free?"
Clara responded, with hands on hips, and exasperation in her voice, "No Mommy! They weren't for free, they were for sale!"

3. Clara "Mommy, We Mormons don't believe in pole dancing, right?"

3 comments: