Thursday, January 23, 2014

Vanilla

I said I would write more than one post today, so I'm writing about vanilla.  Vanilla is important.
Do you understand?  VANILLA IS IMPORTANT.

If you don't like vanilla, stop reading now.  You are a robot without taste buds and I only want human readers.

I believe in vanilla.  More specifically, I believe in Mexican vanilla.

I would like to offer the disclaimer that I have never had super expensive real American vanilla with vanilla beans floating in it. But I have real vanilla from Costco and it tastes like, well, let me go smell it so I can really describe it to you accurately.  Okay, the Kirkland brand Pure Vanilla smells like alcohol and stale glazed donuts.


YUCKY! It costs around $6 for 16 ounces and has sugar in it . That's not cool.

And, did I mention that it doesn't taste good?

Okay, then you have your standard imitation vanilla.  It's around $2-$5 for anywhere between 2 and 16 ounces, depending on where you buy it, and it tastes like, well, watered down stale vanilla flavored glazed donuts.
Here is a link explaining what it is:
http://bakingbites.com/2013/08/what-is-imitation-vanilla/

My opinion on artifical vanilla can be summed up in two words: Not worthy

So, here's my point.  If you can't afford really good pure vanilla, which probably tastes fantastic, Mexican vanilla is the way to go.  Actually, I think it's the way to go even if you can afford expensive vanilla.

At Walmart, in the Mexican section, you can purchase an 8.4 ounce bottle of Molina Mexican Vanilla Blend for $1.50!  It has water,alcohol, pure vanilla extract, and vanillin ( from vanilla) in it- and some other things like coloring and preservatives.  And it's freaking delicious! It smells like vanilla should smell.  It smells like vanilla should taste.  It doesn't smell like alcohol or stale donuts.

Yummy!

And finally, if you are really lucky or can afford it, you can get super fine Mexican vanilla when your friends or relatives go to Mexico and bring it back to you in bottles that look like wine.  We used to get this all the time when we lived in Texas. But, alas, nobody loves me enough to bring me any here in Utah. So, we have to buy it online. My mom got some amazing Mexican vanilla online.  I think it cost about $15 for 32 ounces.

It was Vanilla Heaven.  I had one bottle about a year ago and now I am in need of more.- a lot more. It had a vanilla bean in the bottle, and it was really hard to even throw the bottle away because it smelled so good! But, I did throw away the bottle, and now I must go and implore my mother to tell me where she got it from!

Vanilla- it's important.  Mom, are you reading this?  I need more vanilla.  I'm willing to pay!


4 comments:

  1. I know how to get more. . . this is Mom, not Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good. I need 2, or 3, or 4. When I say need, I am talking about a chemical need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I noticed that a lot of spices in the Mexican section are way cheap.
    2. How do you feel about almond extract? I put it in frosting for sugar cookies and everyone loves it. I also put it in freshly whipped cream. I should probably put this on your facebook link, cuz I won't check back here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I am also in love with almond extract. I love it in cookies, whipped cream, and in the frosting for cinnamon rolls. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete