Friday, June 13, 2014

Unplugged- Turning off the TV and the Computer

While I have great respect for people who don't own a television, I am not one of those people.  I also admire people who eat only whole organic foods and run marathons.  I just can't quite bring myself to join them. But, I think they are all very awesome!
So, this blog entry today is about summer fun and baby steps, like from that movie "What about Bob?"  Baby steps to the door.  Baby steps to turn the knob. Baby steps to the car. .  .Bob was OCD and had ISSUES.  Baby steps to unplugging.

I'm not OCD. No, really, I am not.

I'm not.

This isn't about that anyway.  It's about summer and what I'm doing with my kids this summer. It's about how it is going to be a great summer!  Step by baby step.

I love summer!  I love having my kids home for summer.  I love no homework and less scheduled activities.  I love a more relaxed schedule.  I love getting to be with them.  Every year before summer break starts, I take some quiet time to think about what I want to accomplish during the summer break.  It's only 10 weeks long and it will be over before we know it.  I'm one of those people who has anxiety on the first day of summer because it is going TOO FAST ALREADY! So, I stop and think and then form a plan.  Some years we have worked on academic deficiencies in very specific ways, using worksheets and computer programs to help individual children as needed.   We work on Reflections, Science Fair, and History Fair.  We do science activities, art days, zoo days. . . it just depends on that year.

This year we have a pass to Thanksgiving Point, so we will be going there about once a week on the way home from me teaching piano lessons to 4 nieces and nephews in Orem.  But, the main theme of the summer is going to be," Have fun."  We need a break from forced academics. We need to just enjoy each day. Seize the day!  We need to slow down and enjoy each other.

There are two things I have done to promote my theme:

1. The cabinet of fun.

The cabinet of fun is a small hallway cabinet in, well, our hallway, of course.  It is situated against the wall in the hallway by our front door.  It usually houses various things like lunchboxes and scriptures. So, I cleaned it out, and, unbeknownst the the children, filled it with things from the dollar store. I revealed the stash when the got home on the last day of school. They were pretty thrilled. It currently houses playdough, bubbles, chalk, a lizard that grows in the water, and ring pops.  I will replenish this cabinet as needed.  The bottom shelf is for library books because my kids love to go to the library.  The rules for the cabinet of fun are simple: use the items and have fun. I also bought a kiddie pool for the back patio. It doesn't fit in the cabinet, but it's pretty fun.

2. The second intentional change in our home is to unplug.  What do I mean?  I mean we have agreed not to watch T.V. or play video games on the computer or other devices between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. every day.  The kids have also agreed to get up by 8 a.m. and get their chores done by 9 so we can get busy having fun.  This is a very lenient rule.  I mean, there's a lot of time after 4 p.m. where the kids could watch tv or play a game.  We are only a week in, but so far, nobody is counting down the time until 4 o'clock. They are too busy having fun.  And besides, I'm not trying to completely deprive them of technology. I'm just trying to help them rediscover some simpler joys, ones powered by their own bodies and their brilliant imaginations.

There are so many things to do when we choose to put the breaks on the easy entertainment.  Yesterday, Clara and I sewed a skirt for her doll. It was so nice to have the time to do that with her.

In one week of summer, we've already managed to have a lot of fun:

  We went swimming at the big pool.  We went to the park.  The girls have been riding their bikes.  They are playing with everything from the cabinet of fun. They are being creative.  Amy spent some time making duct tape fans before heading out with her brothers, my dad, my sister, and three of her kids, for a trip to the Grand Canyon.  I went on a 4 hour hike with my friend Janice yesterday.  We went to a summer party. They have played at friends' houses, played with water guns, helped me cook, and played soccer.  We've eaten a lot of ice cream too.  Ice cream is important.

And I've finally found the time to start teaching my kids piano lessons. And they are practicing!  It's pretty awesome to hear the same two songs being played by 5 different people.

One week of summer break is already gone, and I'm not very happy about that.  But, I am happy about how that week went.

What will the rest of the summer bring?  Well, you never know what will go in the cabinet of fun, but I plan to keep it loaded.  I'm not sure what else.  I think we are going to actually take a family trip- maybe Bear Lake or Yellowstone.
For the most part, I'm taking it one day at a time.
Hiking.
Board Games.
Gardening.
Art
Science
Sewing
Reading
Walking
Riding
Playing
Creating
Talking
Anything

I love summer!




1 comment: