Saturday, May 16, 2015

Dear Otter

This is the 5th installment in my Love Letters to my children series.  One more to come. Then, I'll be out of children.




Dear Otter,

Otter, otter, born in the water.  You came into this world in the most awesome way of any of your siblings! I was 39 weeks pregnant and taking a nap on the couch on a hot Saturday afternoon. Earlier that day we had picked up the final Harry Potter book and spent some time reading it.  Your dad had jokingly told me I could have you any day except July 21st, the day that book came out. He didn't want to miss out on reading it.  We are pretty big Harry Potter fans.  I told him I  was going to have you that day because he told me not to do it. Well, we were both teasing, but you had plans.  You let us have most of the day to read the book and relax.  Everything was quiet. The clock switched over to 4 P.M. and . . .

POP!!!!

My water broke, abruptly awakening from my peaceful slumber.

Knowing I was likely to have a fast labor (the last one was one hour and 15 minutes), I jumped up off the couch and raced to the phone.  As I ran I yelled upstairs."Judd, my water broke!"  He raced into action loading Reuben, Amy, and Clara into the car. Tim was at a friends' house.  I called the midwife who was driving her son to the pool.  She understood I could have a very fast labor and flipped a U-turn over a concrete median to head to the birth center. I love her for that!

After the call, I ran to the car.  When I say run in the post, I actually mean run.  We were off.  It was about 4:05. The birth center was in Holladay.  We didn't want to take the time to get Tim.  I called my friend who had him and asked if he could stay overnight and she said yes.  A few minutes later, I had a contraction, nothing really strong, but definitely my body getting down to business.  The drive was about 15 minutes.  So, we got there around 4:20.  Grandma Kristie, who was luckily available, met us there to watch your older siblings.  Your dad and I headed back into a birthing suite and Becky( the midwife) checked my dilation. I was 6 cm, which was one more than I had been at my last check, so things were getting going.  I decided to get in the nice hot tub.  During this time I had been having contractions every 3-5 minutes, so not very many. I thought I would labor in the tub for an hour or more, but as soon as I got in, and Becky left to change into scrubs, I felt really safe and I told my body that I was ready to have you.  And my body listened.  With the next contraction, I could feel that everything was in place for you to be born.  I could feel your head starting to come out.  I hollered for the midwife to come back and forget changing.  By that point, a second midwife had arrived to act as nurse.  They asked if I could get out of the tub to deliver on my hands and knees like I wanted to do.  But, I couldn't get out. You were coming! Things went so fast.  I think I had a total of 8 contractions, including the 1 or 2 it took to get you out into the water, then straight into my arms.

  Start to finish- 39 minutes.   You were born at 4:39.

Well, kiddo, you made a grand entrance, and you've been awesome ever since!  You were an angel baby. You went to sleep without any trouble.  You loved to be held but also loved quiet time.  You were cute and sweet and fun to cuddle.  Everybody loved you, especially Clara who is only 23 months older.  She really loved getting a living baby doll!

After a while, your fabulous spunky personality emerged.  Audrey the cheetah/otter- loud and funny, queen of the cartwheel,  friendly, compassionate, silly, and kind.  You are a spitfire! You love going to school, once you've gotten there each day. You love to sing and dance and play with your sisters.

One of my favorite things about you is finding you asleep many nights of each week with a book covering your face.  When you were quite small you carried around a book by Gordon B. Hinckley. Then for a while you toted a large copy of the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe! The other day you had a homemade bow ( like bow and arrow) tucked in with you and tightly cuddled while you slept!

I loved getting to be your preschool teacher and I love getting to be your mom and watch you enjoy and excel at so many things.  I'm so glad to have a kid who loves to be with all of her sisters and who is game to try just about any activity.  I can't wait for you to turn 8 in a couple of months and for the new adventures that await you.  I'm so excited to watch you grow and see you develop into a woman. You're just awesome!  I like it that you say strange things like" Mommy, when you die, I want all of your jewelry. All of it! Oh, and your shoes too!"

You are just full of spunk and sass all squished into a beautiful package with silky brown hair and big sparkling blue eyes.  I must have done something right to get to be your Mom.  I love you Audrey!

No comments:

Post a Comment